World’s 30 Richest Billionaires
30. Ma Huateng (Pony Ma): Net worth — £20.1 billion ($26.09 billion). The Chinese internet entrepreneur is the founder, president, CEO and executive board member of Tencent. Tencent is a holding company for subsidiaries that provide everything from online advertising, media, entertainment, and payment systems.
T=28. George Soros: Net worth — £20.7 billion ($26.87 billion). Soros is one of the world’s most famous and successful investors. However he started from humble beginnings where he worked as a railway porter and waiter to put himself through his university education at the London School of Economics.
T=28. Phil Knight: Net worth — £20.7 billion ($26.87 billion). Knight is the co-founder and chairman emeritus of one of the world’s largest and most recognisable sports brands, Nike.
Christian Petersen/Getty Images
T=28. Maria Franca Fissolo: Net worth — £20.7 billion ($26.87 billion). The Italian billionaire is the owner of Europe’s second largest confectionery company Ferrero. She is a widow of Michele Ferrero.
26. Axel Dumas: Net worth — £22.2 billion ($28.8 billion). He is the CEO of major fashion house Hermès. He is the sixth-generation member of the family to lead it after his family founded it in 1837.
Vittorio Zunino Celotto / Getty
25. The Henkel family: Net worth — £22.5 billion ($28.88 billion). The German chemical and consumer goods company was founded in 1876 by Fritz Henkel. Christoph Henkel inherited a £1 billion stake in the group in 1999 shortly after his father Konrad’s death in 1999.
Reuters / Ina Fassbender
24. Steve Ballmer: Net worth — £23.6 billion ($30.63 billion). He was the former CEO of Microsoft from January 2000 to February 2014 and is the current owner of the basketball team, the Los Angeles Clippers.
23. Jorge Paulo Lemann: Net worth — £23.9 billion ($31 billion). Pictured on the left, Lemann is the richest person in Brazil and made his fortune as a corporate takeover legend.
Scott Olson/Getty Images
22. Sheldon Adelson: Net worth — £24.6 billion ($31.93 billion). He is the founder and CEO of gambling giant Las Vegas Sands Corp and is a major Republican party donor.
21. Li Ka-shing: Net worth — £25.4 billion ($32.97 billion). He is one of Asia’s richest men after being one of the first big investors in Facebook while also acquiring British telecom company O2, which he purchased in 2015 for $15 billion.
Stanford University, Flickr
20. Wang Jianlin: Net worth — £25.7 billion ($33.36 billion). He is the founder of China’s largest real estate developer Dalian Wanda Group and also owns a 20% stake in Spanish football club Atlético Madrid.
Damir Sogolj / Reuters
19. Jack Ma: Net worth — £26.7 billion ($26.7 billion). The Chinese tech billionaire is the founder and executive chairman of e-commerce giant Alibaba Group.
18. Ingvar Kamprad and family: Net worth — £28 billion ($36.34 billion). The Swedish business magnate has been at the helm of IKEA, one of the world’s largest furniture stores and most beloved brands, for more than 70 years.
17. Karl & Theo Albrecht Jr & Beate Heister and family: Net worth — £30.5 billion ($39.59 billion). Germany’s Karl Albrecht founded the discount supermarket chain Aldi with his brother Theo.
16. Stefan Quandt & Susanne Klatten: Net worth — £30.8 billion ($39.98 billion). He is the son of the late Herbert and Johanna Quandt, and owns 25.6% of BMW while his sister claims a 20.8%.
14. Sergey Brin: Net worth: £33.4 billion ($43.35 billion). The Russian American computer scientist co-founded tech giant Google with Larry Page.
Getty Images / Justin Sullivan
13. Larry Page: Net worth — £34.2 billion. Page beats his cofounder of Google counterpart, Sergey Brin, by £1 billion.
Chris Hondros/Getty Images
12. Bernard Arnault: Net worth — £35.2 billion ($45.69 billion). Arnault is the Chairman and CEO of the world’s largest luxury goods company, LVMH.
11. Michael Bloomberg: Net worth — £39 billion ($50.62 billion). He is the founder, owners and CEO of the huge global financial services, mass media, and software company Bloomberg. He has also pledged half of his fortune to charity after his death.
10. Larry Ellison: Net worth — £40.6 billion ($52.7 billion). He is the founder and chairman of the international giant Oracle. He is also big into yacht racing and buying whole Hawaiian islands.
9. Carlos Slim Helu and family: Net worth — £46 billion ($59.71 billion). He is Mexico’s wealthiest man and one of the richest self-made billionaires in the world after taking control of Latin America’s biggest mobile telecom firm America Movil.
7. John & Jacqueline Mars: Net worth — £49 billion ($63.6 billion). The brother and sister are heirs to the confectionary empire that makes Mars Bars.
5. Jeff Bezos: Net worth — £61.8 billion ($80.22 billion). He is the founder, chairman, and CEO of the world’s largest online shopping retailer Amazon. He is also an investor in Business Insider through his personal investment company Bezos Expeditions.
Steve Jurvetson / Wikimedia Commons
4. Amancio Ortega: Net worth — £63.5 billion ($82.42 billion). Ortega founded Inditex in 1985, which owns brands like Zara, Pull & Bear, Bershka, and Massimo Dutti. He also owns around 60% of the company.
3. Bill Gates: Net worth — £70.8 billion ($91.9 billion). Gates made his fortune from cofounding the world’s largest PC software company Microsoft.